Skin, being the largest organ in the human body, should also be taken care of in the same way as the other organs of the body. Face yoga is a popular way that people look to improve their appearance and wellness. They are not only a possible natural alternative to Botox, fillers, skin care products, and other cosmetic treatments, but they’re also significantly cheaper.
Facial exercises and massages date back to the ancient scriptures of Ayurveda that release energy pathways to achieve good health and well-being. Facial Yoga improves your facial muscles, just like Yoga. It tones, relaxes and gives a boost to the skin while simultaneously resetting your facial muscles. When you regularly perform facial exercises or Yoga, your facial muscles are 2feel toned and get a natural lift.
What is Facial Yoga?
Like Body Yoga, Face Yoga consists of exercises and stretches for the muscles on your face. In addition, it combines multiple facial exercises and facial massage for your facial muscles, skin, and tissue drainage system.
Benefits of the Face Yoga
Face Yoga is not only meant for getting slimmer-looking but for improving physical appearance. Melissa Murphy, a face yoga instructor and yoga teacher for 15 years, says facial exercises can impact our health because the head and face contain most of our major sense organs.
Five Easy Face Yoga Exercises
For each part of the face, there are numerous Facial Yoga Exercises to try. When you perform the exercises, keep the rest of your face, neck, and shoulders relaxed. Here are the top 5 face yogas to help your face look slimmer and youthful and make it healthy.
The Forehead Smoother
How to perform?
- Lift one arm upwards with your shoulders down. Drop that arm over your forehead and place your fingers on the temple.
- Press your fingertips down to lift your face up and back, and then drop your head over to your shoulder.
- Hold this posture while you slowly breathe out through your mouth.
- Reach your other arm out at a 45-degree angle, and when you exhale, stick your tongue out towards the ground.
- Repeat the same process on the other side and repeat through.
This exercise relaxes your forehead muscles, thus reducing wrinkles.
Face Lifting Exercise
How to perform?
- Place both palms on your forehead.
- Lift the sides of your face by pushing your hands up and back.
- Open your mouth and make an “O” shape. Then, drop your jaw to make your face as long as possible.
- Hold this position for five seconds. Repeat twice.
This facial Yoga can temporarily improve puffiness on the skin by increasing lymphatic circulation.
Chanting “OM” with a smile
Chanting ‘Om’ calms the mind and relaxes the face muscles. As a balancing locus, close your eyes and smile slightly while visualizing the point between your eyebrows. As most people frown unconsciously, repeated grimaces can form wrinkles.
This pose will help offset those lines and give the skin a glow from the inside.
Look upwards and raise your eyebrows at the same time. Then gently close your eyelids while still looking up.
Since our eyelids tend to sink with age, this stretching exercise can help keep them firm.
Make a fish face
Suck in the insides of your cheeks, almost like making a fish face. Hold for a few seconds, keeping your eyes wide open. If your eyes start to water, it signifies the period for which you can hold this pose. Then you may blink and release the pose.
Does Facial Yoga work?
The effects of facial Yoga can be seen prominently on the face if one does the exercises regularly and include them in the daily routine.